Tips for a 1st timer to Disneyland

chat about Disneyland/World [Public]

Moderator: twinsmommie

Kiestler87
Cherry Blossom
Layouts: 11

Tips for a 1st timer to Disneyland

Post by Kiestler87 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:28 pm

I will be traveling with my mom and one of her students to Anaheim in June. We will do a tour of LA one day and have 2 days to spend in Disneyland/California Adventures. I have been to Disneyworld several times but this will be our first trip to Disneyland. Anyone have any tips, must dos, favorite places to eat?

stateless
Cherry Bomb
Layouts: 249

Re: Tips for a 1st timer to Disneyland

Post by stateless » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:40 pm

Space Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean are better at DL so don't miss those! And of course you have to ride the things that WDW doesn't have like Indiana Jones. I'm not sure if the fireworks are the same as the last time I was there but I liked them better at DL than at WDW. But maybe that's because I've seen Wishes too many times. :) I haven't been since they started World of Color at California Adventure but that's supposed to be really good.

I'm sure I'll think of more tomorrow - I am too tired to put together coherent thoughts!
- Valerie/stateless

Kiestler87
Cherry Blossom

Post by Kiestler87 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:52 pm

stateless wrote:Space Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean are better at DL so don't miss those! And of course you have to ride the things that WDW doesn't have like Indiana Jones. I'm not sure if the fireworks are the same as the last time I was there but I liked them better at DL than at WDW. But maybe that's because I've seen Wishes too many times. :) I haven't been since they started World of Color at California Adventure but that's supposed to be really good.

I'm sure I'll think of more tomorrow - I am too tired to put together coherent thoughts!
Oh this gives me at great start. Thank you.

stateless
Cherry Bomb

Post by stateless » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:37 am

The biggest difference between DL and WDW is that DL feels more intimate and homey, if that makes sense. Things are on a smaller scale at Disneyland - Sleeping Beauty castle is soooo much smaller than Cinderella's. I remember the first time we went and we entered Disneyland, my husband kept saying "where's the castle?!" Also, walkways are a little more narrow and the park layout is a little more convoluted. But that adds to the atmosphere!

It can get quite crowded. Not sure what days of the week you will be there but crowds work a little differently there than at WDW. Where WDW is full of people on vacation, a large part of the people visiting DL are locals who have annual passes. Some people routinely roll in after work for a few hours! As a result, crowds tend to build throughout the day. So the best advice is to get there when the park opens - you can get a lot done in the first hour or so before crowds build.
- Valerie/stateless

Kiestler87
Cherry Blossom

Post by Kiestler87 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:07 pm

We will be there on a Friday and Saturday in June. I know it will be crowded and the weekend isn't the best days. My mother is a teacher and she will be taking one of her students for national FBLA conference. So we have a limited amount of free days for sight seeing. I've been doing research and almost everyone is saying that it is very small so you can do so much in a short time.

stateless
Cherry Bomb

Post by stateless » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:48 pm

Actually, believe it or not, the weekends can be a better time to go. A lot of the annual passes are blocked on Saturdays in June and some on Fridays too! Visiting Disneyland on a Saturday isn't nearly as bad as being in the Magic Kingdom on a Saturday (I made that mistake once - never again!).

Yes, the smaller size helps in getting things done quickly. My husband and I were able to ride everything in Fantasyland plus the Matterhorn twice and Space Mountain all in the first hour!
- Valerie/stateless

Kiestler87
Cherry Blossom

Post by Kiestler87 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:54 pm

Wonderful! I was afraid that it would be so crowded. I'm looking forward to a new experience at Disneyland. I can't wait. The hotel we are staying at is a block from Disneyland, California Adventures, and Downtown Disney!! The two days we will spend at Disneyland/California Adventures we plan on getting there at opening and closing it down. lol I'm excited about the things that they don't have in Disney World.

stateless
Cherry Bomb

Post by stateless » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:12 pm

Oh yeah - that reminds me of another difference between the two! The first time I went to DL, I couldn't believe how close the "outside world" is! There is an IHOP like across the street! Not to mention tons of other hotels and restaurants and such within walking distance. Nothing like WDW where it's separated from all that.
- Valerie/stateless

Kiestler87
Cherry Blossom

Post by Kiestler87 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:13 pm

I'm trying to prepare myself for the difference. My mom keeps saying I hope were not disappointed. I told her its Disney I'm not sure its possible to be disappointed!:-D

stateless
Cherry Bomb

Post by stateless » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:04 pm

You won't be disappointed! OK, you *might* be disappointed by the castle because it's so small, lol... but otherwise there is lots to love about DL. I'm still a WDW girl at heart but I love DL in a different way.
- Valerie/stateless

Kiestler87
Cherry Blossom

Post by Kiestler87 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:35 pm

I LOVE Disney World and I know it will be my favorite but I think I will love Disneyland in a different way.

Return to “The Magic Kingdom”